Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"Is this the autobahn?"

Sam and I arrived in Montpellier on Sunday evening. Anne picked us up from the train station and then we went back to her flat, dropped off our luggage and headed for the beach. Sam and I had not seen water in ages, so we were quite excited. Especially since it was the Mediterranean Sea. The water was so refreshing and nice! And salty. We spent what was left of the day on the beach, and then went back to Anne's for dinner. While she was cooking her friend Philippe came over and he joined us for dinner. It was a nice evening. We went to bed soon after dinner and slept for a long time. Apparently we had not slept as well on the night train as we thought we had.



The next day Anne had to work, so Sam and I walked into town. It is so beautiful. When you think of Europe, you think of old buildings, narrow streets and cobble stone roads. I thought Paris fit this definition quite nicely, but little did I know I was actually thinking of Montpellier. The next two hours were spent wandering the streets and going into a few shops. When we first got there we found a playground, which was quite exciting ;) But while walking the streets what did I find? A clutch! The best part? I later discovered it is sized for euro bills. Not American dollars. I guess I'll be folding my money, haha. Soon after we had lunch at a little place on a little street. I'm going to miss the baguette sandwiches they keep feeding me here.. After lunch we found the Arc de Triomphe in Montpellier. And what was only a little behind that? An aqueduc. It was incredible. It looked like it was straight of the history books. Near that was a beautiful church and a giant cross in the center of the two. Sam then decided he was tired of walking around the city and wanted to go back to the beach, so we headed back to the Olympic pool (which I forgot to mention earlier) and hopped on a bus that would take us to the beach. There we spent the next few hours swimming and laying in the sun.







Later that night we returned to Anne's, had dinner (another amazing meal!), and headed out to have drinks with her friend Guihem (I hope that's how you spell his name..). After chatting for a while, Anne gave us a tour of the city at night. It's so pretty. From there, Guihem left to go home, but Anne took us to a beach bar where we got to experience a bit of the night life in Montpellier. It was a bit quiet since it was monday night, but it was nice.

Montpellier is a beautiful place. If you ever get the chance to come here, you should. It's all that a vacation should be.

Wish you were here!

1 comment: