Friday, July 9, 2010

"It's weird to think they're going to be real people someday"

Yesterday Sam, Ola, and I got to meet Matt's kids that he teaches. They were all so cute!! Especially Tilman and Merlin. That's right. Merlin. They all loved to run around yelling at Matt saying, "Matt matt matt matt matt matt" and he would say, "what?" and they would say, "matt chocolat." Rhyming four year olds. Brilliant! Actually, the whole situation reminded me of that family guy episode where stewie goes to Louis and is like, "Mom. mom. mom. mom. mama. mama. mom..." "WHAT?!" "...Hi." I hope you know what I'm talking about. Anyways, back to Berlin. After we had a picnic with lots of good food (everything from cookies to sushi to apples) we went to Matt's school, grabbed his stuff, and we were off. We went to this old graffiti filled building that smelt really bad. Honestly, if I was adventuring Berlin on my own I would not have gone in there. It looked super sketchy. But Matt took us in and despite the smell, it was actually really cool. Upstairs there were people selling jewelry and other crafts, as well as art for sale. Downstairs and outside there was a bar and a group of people playing football (soccer).



From there we went to Check Point Charlie and the Berlin Wall. On our way there we went past a Mini Cooper dealer. There was a mini cooper sideways on the wall, so naturally we had to take a picture of us holding it. Tourists. Here's how mine went.. Me holding the car, me hitting my head on the car.. twice.. Then me falling over.







Anyways, after that we kept walking and came across the Berlin Wall. It was really weird to see it in person. It was a little surreal. A lot of history and a lot to take in and understand. I always 'understood' the Berlin Wall, but when I saw it in person and the real separation it caused it really hit me. One day your town is one, and the next day there's a wall you're not allowed to cross. Many people were separated from their family and friends for almost 30 years. It was a lot to take in and I can't really explain it, but you should try and visit there sometime.





After that we went to the Sony Center in Postdamer Platz where we ran and found food. We ate at an Australian restaurant which was very good! (The food just keeps getting better) Soo what do you eat at an Australian restaurant? A Kangaroo wrap of course (the crocodile was too expensive to try). I felt bad eating a kangaroo. It just seems like one of those things you shouldn't eat. I haven't even seen a kangaroo before! But it turns out Kangaroo is actually really good! It tasted like steak and chicken.. Kind of. Either way it was great. Above us was the top of the Sony center which changed colour while we sat there. It was really pretty and switched from blue to pink. Luckily Matt's camera skills allowed me to capture this moment.



From there we left to go home. Another late night in Berlin. Another great night in Berlin. Now we're sitting here relaxing a little bit, taking today easy. Matt's gone at work and Sam and I are trying to figure out things to do in Berlin. I think there's a museum near by we may go check out.. I'll keep you posted.

Wish you were here

No comments:

Post a Comment