Monday, July 5, 2010

Pauze

Yesterday we were off to a later start because of our workouts, but Sam and I went into town again. Since it was Sunday most shops weren't open (they don't open again until monday at noon.. they like long weekends). On our way into town I saw a guy jumping off the bridge and into the canal. It was really gross. I would not swim in that water. But then I saw his friends drinking and figured that explained a lot of it. Once in town I managed to find Sven and snap a picture with him. I can easily say this trip is much closer to complete. And I had mango ice cream for only 90 cents! The cheapest thing I've found so far! And it was AMAZING. The only thing better than that so far was what ever Philippe ate while we were at lunch. Sorry that was so vague.



After that we went back to Phil's apartment, relaxed, and then drove to Marlinda's house and had dinner with her and her family. They were so nice and the food was delicious! I tried this "typical" dutch food, although I'm not sure what it's called, and it was really good! It looked like a sausage, but was like hamburger on the inside. Yummm. From there Marlinda, Phil, Sam and I left to go see Eclipse. Yes, another movie in Europe. I'm two for two now! The first thing I learned while I was there is that when you're at the movie theater, you can buy beer. That was a new experience (No, I don't drink). The second thing I learned is that they don't watch the whole movie without stopping. They like to have a "Pauze". They just stop in the middle of the movie for 10 or 15 minutes so you can take a break, go to the bathroom, and get drinks and food. I thought it was hilarious. When we left the theater it was midnight and of course, it still wasn't completely dark out. I guess the sun doesn't really set all the way here. Oh! I forgot to mention that this same night there was a giant music tour going on in downtown. We walked right by it and it sounded like a giant techno dance party. It was awesome. All the music here is pretty much techno. It's so great! I also saw Hayley's twin at the dance tour! I'll get a picture up later.

Today we were off to another late start since it was such a long drive back from Marlinda's house yesterday. We walked into town and Phil and Marlinda showed us all the cool stores we had missed. The clothes are still ridiculously over priced here though :( We soon decided we were hungry though, so we went to a haunted restaurant. Apparently a girl died upstairs and since then lights have been tipping over and some other strange things. The inside is still all the same since the 1800's and apparently when you go there at night it can get pretty spooky since it's mostly candle light. But if you're ever in Groningen you should go. Phil said to try some super loaded omelette (I have no idea what it was called.. I usually don't understand the menus), and it was the best omelette I have EVER had. It's right up there with what ever Philippe ate at lunch..



After that we came back to Phil's place and relaxed for a little while before heading out to his team mate Paul's house for his birthday. He had a barbeque and the food was great! Again, I can't be sure on all of what I ate, but it was good. I wish I was better at this food thing.. A lot of Phil's team was there, so that was fun. They're all really, really tall. Actually, everyone here is really tall. Even the girls that were in town were towering over me. Hm. Anyways, while at Paul's we learned that his brother, Bos, thought his room was too hot at night, so he set up a new crib (tent) for himself outside. The guys had to move it out of the way to play soccer so no one ruined his "pad". Well done boys.

From the barbeque we went to visit Ingo for a while, and then we had to leave. We had some packing to do and an early morning tomorrow because Phil, Marlinda and I are driving to Heerenveen to go to a giant shop dedicated to speedskating! Super cool :) After that I'm off to Berlin where I'll be meeting Matt! I can't wait to see him. However, 4 train rides are between now and then. Tomorrow looks like another long day of traveling.

Wish you were here

3 comments:

  1. Safe travels baby! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good stuff, Dano. If you visit the Philippines someday, you can tower over people like a giant too. And everybody wears flip-flops. Eli

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like today was a good day!
    wish I was there too!
    I love you
    Dad

    ReplyDelete